- THE MAGAZINE
- INFO FOR...
- ASI Store
- ASI Top 25
- ASI End User
- Classifieds and Services Marketplace
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- ASI Readers' Choice Awards
The acquisition unites Clariant’s extensive network of sales, technical service and support with XL Performance Chemicals’ proven know-how and family of technologies for more than 100 different foam-control products in end-use markets where Clariant already has a substantial global presence: metal working, paints and coatings, mining, oil services, crop protection, construction, textile and paper.
“We see great business opportunity in here in a global market that exceeds $2 billion and is growing annually at a rate of 4 to 5 percent,” said Clariant’s North American Head of Functional Chemicals, Hugh Fowler. “At some point in virtually every manufacturing process – our own included – foam is created. Eliminating this foam or bubbles from such products as paints or cements is essential for these products to perform optimally as designed. With the addition of the XL D-Foam-RTM products to our own extensive range, we can offer our customers an even better comprehensive end-to-end service-oriented solution to their foam-control challenges.”
Manufacturing will continue to be centered in the U.S. at a facility in Greenville, S.C. operated under a toll agreement, with the potential for Clariant to transfer manufacturing to its own strategically located plants elsewhere in the world as market penetration and growth increases.
Foam Control products, defoamers and anti-foam agents, are designed to eliminate or manage trapped air, bubbles and the resulting foam that can cause a variety of manufacturing, process and product performance problems including:
- Reduced pump efficiency (cavitation)
- Reduced storage tank capacity
- Increased potential for bacteria growth
- Increased potential for dirt flotation and deposit formation
- Reduced effectiveness of fluids and/or increased replenishment cost
- Added mechanical downtime for tank cleaning
- Increased drainage problems in sieves and filters