- THE MAGAZINE
- INFO FOR...
- ASI Store
- ASI Top 25
- ASI End User
- Classifieds and Services Marketplace
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- ASI Readers' Choice Awards
Food and beverage manufacturers require storage coatings that meet the highest safety standards while offering long-lasting performance and easy care. Sherwin-Williams recently introduced a product to meet these demands. Magnalux™ 304 FF is a flake-filled vinyl ester that has been approved for food contact surfaces associated with producing, storing and transporting food products.
Magnalux 304 is a chemical resistant immersion coating comprised of a vinyl ester resin containing mica flakes that reduce permeability and improve edge retention for longer service life. Offering maximum flexibility, the coating is formulated with an extended pot life and can be applied with conventional or airless spray equipment on steel and concrete surfaces.
The coating meets U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 175.300 for conditions of use D, E and F, covering dry and liquid foods and beverages that are hot filled or pasteurized below 150°F; room temperature filled and stored, with no thermal treatment in the container; and subject to refrigerated storage, with no thermal treatment in the container. The coating is approved for food types I, II, III, IVA and IVB, V, VI, VII, and VIII within these ranges:
- Nonacid (pH above 5.0), aqueous products; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content
- Acidic (pH 5.0 or below), aqueous products; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content
- Aqueous, acid or nonacid products containing free oil; may contain salt or sugar or both, and including oil-in-water emulsions of low- or high-fat content
- Dairy products and modifications: A. Water-in-oil emulsion, high- or low-fat. B. Oil-in-water emulsion, high- or low-fat
- Low moisture fats and oils.
- Beverages: A. Containing alcohol. B. Nonalcoholic
- Bakery products
- Dry solids
“While we have provided coatings and linings for food and beverage applications for many years, Magnalux 304 fits very nicely in our portfolio of products for this industry,” said Narsi Bodapati, vice president of Marketing. “We are pleased to offer our food and beverage customers this new storage coating option backed by the expertise and innovation they expect from Sherwin-Williams.”