- THE MAGAZINE
- INFO FOR...
- ASI Store
- ASI Top 25
- ASI End User
- Classifieds and Services Marketplace
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- ASI Readers' Choice Awards
WACKER recently announced its Nünchritz, Germany, plant has produced half a billion cartridges of adhesives and sealants since production at the site began in 1998. The chemical plant reportedly has a long tradition. “It was here that silicone chemistry came of age,” said Uwe Scheim, head of sealants Research & Development in Nünchritz. “After the Müller-Rochow synthesis was developed, the inventor Richard Müller, who was born in nearby Dresden, went on to scale up production of silicones from laboratory to industrial quantities.”
The first sealant to be made from silicone started rolling off the production line at the then VEB Chemiewerk Nünchritz in the mid-1960s and was marketed under the name CENUSIL®. The Nünchritz plant is reportedly one of the first fully integrated silicone sealants sites in the world. Here, adhesives and sealants are made from start to finish, from grinding the metallurgical-grade silicon through to packaging, and, if requested, delivery in labeled cartridges.
The Nünchritz plant was founded as a chemical site in 1900 and became part of the WACKER Group in 1998. Approximately €1.5 billion (~ $1.8 billion) has been invested in the Nünchritz plant, making it one of the world’s largest and most modern production sites for silicones and hyper-pure polysilicon. More than 1,400 people currently work at WACKER Nünchritz.
For additional information, visit www.wacker.com.