- THE MAGAZINE
- INFO FOR...
- ASI Store
- ASI Top 25
- ASI End User
- Classifieds and Services Marketplace
- Product & Literature Showcases
- List Rental
- Market Trends
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- ASI Readers' Choice Awards
Owens Corning recently released its eighth annual Sustainability Report, which reportedly announced significant progress toward achieving its 2020 environmental footprint goals, and declared its intentions to expand its handprint beyond the walls of its facilities. The company defines its handprint as the net-positive effects of its products, market-leading work to drive energy efficiency and climate-impact improvements across the built environment, and improving the lives of employees, their families, and their communities.
“Dedicating time and energy to achieving our sustainability goals, expanding our handprint, is one way we are striving to be better every day as a company,” said Frank O’Brien-Bernini, vice president and chief sustainability officer. “This effort includes the products we offer, collaborating with customers to increase the positive impact of those products in the world and productively engaging in our communities.”
Highlights of 2013 include:
- Commissioned the largest on-site solar photovoltaic (PV) system in the state of New York at the Delmar EcoTouch™ insulation plant
- Recycled one million tons of asphalt shingles in North America, representing approximately 10% of the market
- Doubled freight miles driven on natural gas (converted from diesel), paving the way to run 15% Natural Gas Miles in 2014; the goal is 50% by 2020
- Signed the Climate Declaration calling on the U.S. policymakers to address climate change and joined the Business for Innovative Climate & Energy Policy (BICEP) advocacy organization
- Assisted nearly 4,000 families through the donation of insulation and roofing materials for their homes
- Impacted the lives of more than 5,500 children in China by constructing nutritional food kitchens in rural schools
For more information, visit http://sustainability.owenscorning.com.