GUEST EDITOR'S MEMO: 10 Tips for Success
There's no doubt business is a challenge in today's market, but that doesn't mean you can't thrive. Here are ten tips to help your business succeed in 2009:
- Manage yourself. If you break, everything breaks.
- Know your cash flow...intimately.
- Optimize your operations. Streamline your systems.
- Manage with honor. Honesty is essential to trust.
- Pay attention to quality, customer service quality in particular.
- Nurture your customer list.
- Market like your life depends on it...because it does.
- Be aware of outsourcing. For good or bad, it's changing business.
- Consider new products, markets and services. But first, get the most out of the ones you have.
- Always give your customers more than they expect, and make sure they know they're getting it.
- Be extra flexible and accommodating, but not at the expense of your fundamentals.
- Be aware of what you're focusing on, and focus on opportunities, not doom.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. Doing the same thing over and over again isn't always the way.
- Keep an eye out for strategic acquisitions. This is an ideal time to grow.
- Don't be a jerk. People often look for an excuse to not be helpful when they're stressed out. Help them help you.