LANXESS recently announced it has completed the acquisition of Emerald Kalama Chemical. LANXESS signed a purchase agreement on February 14, 2021, and all required regulatory approvals have been received. LANXESS financed the purchase price of around $1.04 billion (approximately €870 million) from liquid funds.
In 2020, Emerald Kalama Chemical generated global sales of around $425 million (~ €375 million) and EBITDA pre-exceptionals of around $90 million (~ €80 million). The majority of sales (75%) was attributable to business with specialty products for the consumer care market, especially products for flavors and fragrances, as well as preservatives for use in food, household products, and cosmetics. The remaining sales (25%) originated from business with specialty chemicals for industrial applications.
With the closing of the transaction, LANXESS grows by around 470 employees and three production sites in Kalama/Washington (U.S.), Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Widnes (Great Britain). The second-biggest acquisition in LANXESS’s history sees the company expanding its range of specialty chemicals for industrial applications, especially for the plastics, paints and coatings, and adhesives industries.
“The new products broaden the existing LANXESS range and offers growth opportunities in the area of non-phthalate plasticizers which meet the most modern requirements of the plastics processing industry,” said Thomas Facklam, Ph.D., head of Global Application Technology in the Polymer Additives business unit.
Learn more about LANXESS at www.lanxess.com.