Dow recently announced that five leaders earned recognition on three 2020 EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model lists, including Top 20 Advocates, 100 Ethnic Minority Executives, and 100 Ethnic Minority Future Leaders. The EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model lists showcase business leaders who are breaking down barriers at work for ethnic minorities in the UK, Ireland, and Europe, and people of color in the U.S. and Canada. Honorees have achieved success in their own careers and actively use their platform to advance inclusion in the workplace.
“Diversity in the workplace is a catalyst for business success,” said Karen S. Carter, chief human resources officer and chief inclusion officer. “And in order to attract and retain the best talent worldwide, compete globally and deliver the most value to our stakeholders, we are focused on creating an inclusive culture. This recognition reflects the progress we have made, and we are committed to striving for more.”
Dow leaders named to the 2020 EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model lists include:
- Top 20 Advocates List (#4)—Jim Fitterling, chairman and CEO; executive sponsor, Global African Affinity Network
- 100 Ethnic Minority Executives List (#1)—Mauro Gregorio, president, Dow Performance Materials & Coatings (Latin America oversight); executive sponsor, Hispanic and Latin Network
- 100 Ethnic Minority Executives List (#44)—Karen S. Carter, chief human resources officer and chief inclusion officer
- 100 Ethnic Minority Future Leaders List (#8)—Rhonda Pelton, Operational Excellence Leader, TES Process Automation; leadership council member, Global African Affinity Network
- 100 Ethnic Minority Future Leaders List (#32)—Kalyani Martinelango, business analytics leader, Dow Packaging & Specialty Plastics and Hydrocarbons; global chair, Asian Diversity Network
“I am humbled and honored to be recognized for the EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model Lists alongside my colleagues,” said Gregorio. “This award is not only for me, but for all Dow colleagues I work with. I am proud of working for Dow, a company which values Inclusion & Diversity and has it as part of its DNA. I am able to integrate inclusion in my daily work with my colleagues and my interactions with customers, suppliers and community stakeholders who share the same values.”
The actions and behaviors for which the five leaders earned recognition on the EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model Lists are critical to addressing racism, inequality, and injustice in society. In a recent blog post, Fitterling wrote about the role of allies and advocacy in overcoming these issues. In the blog post, he also announced the implementation of Dow ACTs, a strategic framework and action plan to help address systemic racism in the U.S. focused on three areas: advocacy, community, and talent. As part of this commitment, Dow has pledged $5 million over the next five years to help advance social justice and racial equality.